With the ever-growing concerns regarding environmental pollution, climate change, and global warming becoming more alarming in the last decade, sustainability has become an integral part of every policy and procedure for businesses in the consumer and manufacturing industry. The healthcare industry has been and continues to be no exception.
From the use of sustainably sourced materials, all the way to Net-Zero brand new hospital construction projects, Specialist Door Solutions are also playing their part.
Architects, contractors, and building owners have grown increasingly conscious regarding standards for sustainability, and compliance is becoming one of their top priorities. The healthcare industry is expecting not only fit-for-purpose facilities, but also longer-lasting infection control and fire compliance that is able to keep up with greater demand with fewer resources whilst in the knowledge they are safeguarding our planet for the future.
Through the latest technology and the implementation of best practices perfecting the blend between sustainability and usability, Specialist Door Solutions is determined to remain the industry leader for innovation in the healthcare industry. We remain relentless in our pursuit of excellence across door set’s for healthcare, we are committed to significantly reducing our carbon footprint through the optimisation of manufacturing methods, the use of ‘green energy’ and sourcing and recycling material responsibly.
A ‘Carbon Neutral’ Company
We have calculated the carbon emissions produced by us and generated a ‘greenhouse gas report’. With this data, we are supporting projects that focussed on offsetting carbon and becoming more aware of our impact on the environment and our responsibility as a UK manufacturer to reduce our carbon impact.
We pro-actively invest in projects that offset carbon, including:
- Renewable Energy
FSC Certified (Forest Stewardship Council)
FSC forest management certification confirms that the forest is being managed in a way that preserves biological diversity and benefits the lives of local people and workers, while ensuring it sustains economic viability. FSC-certified forests are managed to strict environmental, social and economic standards and there are ten principles that any forest operation must adhere to before it can receive FSC forest management certification:
- Comply with all applicable laws, regulations and nationally ratified international treaties, conventions and agreements
- Maintain or enhance the social and economic wellbeing of workers
- Identify and uphold Indigenous Peoples’ legal and customary rights of ownership, use and management of land, territories and resources affected by management activities
- Contribute to maintaining or enhancing the social and economic wellbeing of local communities
- Efficiently manage the range of multiple products and services of the Management Unit to maintain or enhance long term economic viability and the range of environmental and social benefits
- Maintain, conserve and/or restore ecosystem services and environmental values of the Management Unit, and shall avoid, repair or mitigate negative environmental impacts
- Have a management plan consistent with policies and objectives and proportionate to scale, intensity and risks of its management activities. The management plan shall be implemented and kept up to date based on monitoring information in order to promote adaptive management. The associated planning and procedural documentation shall be sufficient to guide staff, inform affected stakeholders and interested stakeholders and to justify management decisions
- Demonstrate that, progress towards achieving the management objectives, the impacts of management activities and the condition of the Management Unit, are monitored and evaluated proportionate to the scale, intensity and risk of management activities, in order to implement adaptive management
- Maintain and/or enhance the High Conservation Values in the Management Unit through applying the precautionary approach
- Ensure that management activities conducted by or for the organisation for the management unit shall be selected and implemented consistent with the organisation’s economic, environmental and social policies and objectives and in compliance with the Principles and Criteria collectively
And that’s not all…
Specialist Door Solutions are investing heavily into calculating the ‘Embodied Carbon’ in each and every variation of our product, to give NHS Trusts, Architects as well as building and modular contracts the confidence in using our products and helping to measure and minimise their impact on the environment with every project.
It’s all part of our commitment towards minimising the effects of climate change and our journey to ‘Net-Zero’.
"Specified solid timber doors with full PVC encapsulation are one of the most robust doors on the market and copes well to the challenging environment."
"It is fair to say you are one of the very best subcontractors we have had on site."
"We always found SDS to be a reliable partner during the design and delivery stages of our work."
"SDS's customer service skills ensure that the items are always delivered to a high standard and within the guidelines of our orders."
"By using a well-known PVC postformed door supplier we have the reassurance that the doors will be clinically fit for purpose."